Saturday

Still here in Chad - not so bubbly



I'm still here at the Magara location, 3 hours drive northwest of Kome, through the main town of Moundou.

Here I am in the "Mud logging Laboratory" looking at some rocks that were 'shot' as "Side-Wall Cores" down in a Kome well......at about 5400' or a mile down.

  • Work is sparse for a geologist when there's a lot of engineering work to be done before we re-start the well. This well is now 'cased', ie. it has some metal tubing all the way down to stabilise the rock walls, which were falling in all the time.

We'll run some electrical logs through this metal casing to check where our cement is, and some other electric logs (Sonic, Neutron & Gamma Ray) that can see through the steel, and give us an estimation of the rock properties.

It was too problematical in the 'old' uncased hole, to run the more sophisticated logs that we normally would have run.

Hence me twiddling my thumbs for a while. I could go back to Kome base where the food is better...and they have good TV, gym etc......but the return journey of six hours over rough roads puts me off. Just for a two day sojourn

No comments: